View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
Bruce

Default Lower Gears

Hi Brad,
I would try to get the 3.73 (or is it 3.71?) gears for towing your 3124 although it can be done with the gearing you have now.
How many people are coming along and how much gear are you packing?
As I have said before the best way to find out what your tow capacity really is is to find out your gross combined vehicle weight rating. To do this you need to call GM and give them your vin #. Your GCWR will probably be somewhere around 9500 lbs with the axle ratio you have.
The next step is to have your fully loaded and ready for camping tow vehicle and camper weighed (and be ready to be surprised).
If you fall under the GCWR then you are road legal though still probably a bit undergeared.
I use the McKesh mirrors. Easy on and off though they are on the overkill side of the equation. The passenger side mirror is almost useless. It is very difficult to get it to hold it's adjustment. They are noisy too. The nylon strap vibrates. Did you ever hold a piece of grass between your thumbs, cup your mouth on your thumbs and blow? It makes a similiar sound.
The first year we went out with our rig we drove all the way to Oregon before I thought it might be a good idea to get an extension mirror. I got one of those strap on models at an auto parts store and it worked fine.
I think you are required by law to be able to see a certain distance behind your trailer. Check your state's towing regs.