View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riwright View Post
The one attached to your followup looks good but is rotated. The one currently attached to my post shows up as squashed but the rotation is correct.
This is interesting. I'm not sure what is going on, but I would like to know. On my Windows 7 machine, I copied out your original big picture, reduced the size, rotated it to be "correct", and uploaded it into my follow-up post. I assumed (bad idea, I know) that if it was correct for me, it would be correct for everyone. But I think you are telling me that as viewed on your machine, your original picture was correctly rotated it when you posted it, and now my corrected version is rotated. I have no idea why this would be true, or where the rotations are happening - does anyone know?

The answer is in the so-called "EXIF data", the metadata that many (but not all) cameras attach to pictures. Not all cameras attach EXIF data, not all graphics files have had the EXIF data preserved, and not all display programs use the EXIF data even if it is present. For example, the picture in your post has an EXIF "rotated" tag, while the picture in my followup, having been manually rotated, does not.

Simple graphics display programs like Paint, Windows PhotoViewer, and Photowise ignore the EXIF rotation tag. More elaborate programs, like IrfanView and Photoshop check the tag as the file opens, and automatically deal with it if the user has previously enabled Autorotation in the Settings menu. (This setting applies to all files.) I note that GIMP checks the rotation tag of each file as it is loaded, warns me if it is rotated, and asks if I want to unrotate it. Other programs, like the one you are using apparently, check the rotation tag, but don't tell you what it finds.

But that really doesn't tell me, or anyone, how to proceed. And I am dragging this discussion way off topic. If anyone has ideas, we should start a new thread in the Off Topic area.

Anyway, my apologies for jumping on you too quickly regarding rotation (not size, though). I'll be more reserved in the future.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote