View Single Post
Old 06-13-2002, 03:56 AM   #13
Larry_Loo

Default Re: Additional lock, on upper half door

The reason I installed a cam-type cabinet lock on the upper half door of my TM was to provide a little more security from casual, would-be intruders. The door knob's standard latching mechanism may hold the entire door locked, but oftentimes there may be only an eighth inch, or less, contact between the knob's sliding latch pin and the frame's strike plate. Other TM owners have found that pounding on the door frame with a fist or reaching inside after pushing up the velcro flap next to the frame can move the door just enough to unlock it. The installation of a cam lock on the upper half door makes it more certain that the locked door will remain closed and more difficult to force open. Since the upper half door overlaps the lower half door, one would have to break the cam lock before the bottom half could be opened. I'm sure that the majority of our RV neighbors and campers are honest and law-abiding citizens. However, it only takes one low-life, who discovers that your door is a breeze to open, to ruin your entire camping trip!