View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
Doug W.

Here are the tow ratings on a 2003 E-150 with the V-6 right from the TM site:

2003 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury VAN Econoline E-150 PV 4.2L V-6 4700

I will admit that I would definately want a larger engine to tow in the mountains, but back east he should be fine. When I was towing in TX, OK and KS, it towed like it was not even back there even with cruise set and overdrive. The TM is also only slightly larger than the van, so you get very little drag from the trailer. My mirrors on the van are 3 inches wider than the TM. About all that is higher that the van is the AC unit. With overdrive off, I think will be fine, except for sloosing some spped on steep grades which he will see few of back east.

I know I was doing fine with my 5.4L in the mountains except two times when some 18 wheeler decided he just had to pass another 18 wheeler when he was going maybe 30 or 35. I needed to get a less steep grade before I could get it back up to 65 to 75. I could keep it about 65 except for those two problems. That said I have had the experience of pulling with an under rated vehicle. I had a Coleman PU that weighted 800 lbs empty and about 1200 lbs loaded. I took it to the mountains of CO with a Ford Ranger with a 4 speed manual and a 4 cylinder. It worked fine, but I will admit I was going 30 or 35 on the steep grades in second gear. Of course I was not dumb enough to get in the left lane if I came up on a vehicle going slower than me, I just stayed behind him.