View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
FritzCat66

Cool

Scott - You couldn't have been more timely! Thanks so much for the info. That answers 1, 3, 4, 6, & 7 in one post!

So, without a factory dual-sink, I'm wondering if someone makes one that would fit into the same hole as an aftermarket mod?

TX_Camper - Thanks, that answers #5! With the standard, vertical mount LP tanks on the Starcraft (and the Flagstaff before it), the only limiting factor was clearance between the tongue and the bottom of the front bunk. In both cases, I was able to squeeze 30-pounders in there with just enough clearance. Like having a whole extra tank when boondocking!

As for setup times, the 3608 takes longer than your typical pop-up because it has a slide-out as well as the bunk ends, so it's almost like having to setup a third bunk end. Altho, the real time-consumer isn't setting up, it's tucking all that extra canvas in for breakdown - and if you don't stuff well enough, the top won't latch (Starcraft inexplicably has a much shallower cap than the Flagstaff did, but with much more canvas), so you crank it back up and stuff again! I've already used it more than a dozen times since purchase and still it's 50/50 as to whether it will latch without cranking back up. Breakdown for two people isn't too bad, about a half hour including all interior stuff, but for me solo these days it's pushing 45 minutes!

However, in the 3608's favor I will say this: even though it only slides out about two feet, that opens up a world of space inside. People can pass each other in the hallway, two people can work the kitchen, etc. Plus it's like having a bay window with all the flaps open on the slideout - sunny, open, and gorgeous. People who step into the 3608 say it's like the Taj Mahal of pop-ups. I will definitely miss that in my TrailManor. If I had a family of 4-6, I would keep the Starcraft for sure!

Nevertheless, I'm moving forward. The TrailManor fits my solo camping style better and more comfortably, and besides, after 20 years of tent camping, pickup-truck campershell camping, and pop-up camping, I'm ready to move to something hard-sided, better insulated, quicker to breakdown, holds its value better, has a living room instead of an extra bunk, and something I can occasionally work from. It should do me for years to come.

Of course, I've got 25 more years of camping to go before retiring in that Class-A with the full-side slideout and jacuzzi tub.

So, anyone want to tackle numbers 2 & 8?

>*< Fritz