View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #22
mntlblok

I'll drag DW over this week to see if there's anything about the 2619 that seems to come up short for her, but I suspect that she'll find it to be plenty roomy and will figure out ways to store stuff without the dresser and hanging cabinet. The minivan will then also have much more room for such things. She was cracking up watching the internet video of the setup, but, at least she was quick to pick up on the fact that it was "wimmen's work".

You've convinced me to scratch the Hi-Lo off my list. The smaller things would have a porta potty, I guess. I have no idea how satisfactory that would be. An empty drink vessel worked fine for me in the Walmart parking lot at a recent tennis tournament sojourn. :-) The lack of blinds or curtains in the minivan was aggravating, what with the street lights.

Checked out the little Fun Finder X TT's on that trip up in Myrtle Beach, which was what really got me looking seriously at this option. I was all set to go with a Roadtrek 170 if I could have found a reasonably priced used one. Could have parked it in the driveway without violating covenants.

I *love* the idea of not having to cart suitcases and all our other gear (photography equipment {including underwater housings and strobes}, laptop, coolers, tennis gear, scuba gear, etc.) into motel rooms. I love the idea of being able to stop just about any time you want without looking for a motel with a vacancy (and a rate that doesn't tick you off).

I don't have a good feel for how quiet the "quiet" generators are, but my impression from these fora is that you hardly hear them from even just ten feet away. Am I way off here??

BTW, may one generally sleep in Interstate Highway rest areas with a quiet generator going? The name Onan comes to mind, but I believe I also remember a name something like "Generic" that was a tad less expensive. Any recommendations? But, if the things can be used without aggravating others, they would be well worth their costs to me.

As long as I'm wandering off subject, I see that they come in gasoline and LP versions (as well as diesel). Is LP the same thing as propane? Any reasons not to go with LP rather than the potentially smelly gasoline versions? I also don't have a feel for how long fuel lasts in either type. How small a version could keep a 2619 cool all night in summer heat?

And, while I would only plan to be "sleeping", as opposed to "camping" at Walmart, my impression, again from forum reading, is that Walmart encourages RV's, and I wonder if they would really care whether you had your lawn chairs and BBQ out.

I believe you can have little window-style air conditioners in at least "some" of the little "A-shaped" contraptions. My sense was that they could be run off of propane if there were no "hook-ups". Even just a little bit of cooling would make a *lot* of difference. Anyway, you guys have convinced me that I can handle a 2619, so you can stop worrying about my poor DW.

Thanks to all for all the fine advice.

Kevin
Savannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
I don't think there's room in a 2619 for a 3 drawer dresser, but the other options seem OK. Some don't care for the hanging cabinet (cupboard), but we wouldn't be wilthout it. With the Hi-Lo 1706, you don't get a permanent bed, in the 2619 you get 2. The 1706 wieghs just about the same as the 2619. While the TM has a full bath with solid wood walls, the top half of the HI-Lo walls are fabric. Does the Chalet have a bathroom? That's a prime consideration for the ladies. Several considerations for a TT over a motel are: You have your own bed, today, thats comforting to know who slept there last night. RV parks are plentiful and cheaper than motels. You can set up a TT just about as quick as you can unload the vehicle at a motel. I think Wal-Mart would frown on a generator running, but again, some may allow it, just don't set out your lawn chairs and BBQ.
Speaking of sleeping in the minivan when it was so hot, Can you get an a/c in the Chalet????
All of these questions need to be addressed before you spend a lot of money on anything.
Good luck with your search.