View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Congratulations on your "new" 3124!

We have experienced the same sort of thing. I opened the trailer in a parking lot to use the bathroom once, and some guy was just amazed how quickly it set up!

I tow with a Tahoe which can certainly take the weight, but given the TM is tongue heavy, and my wife packed it with tons of canned foods and full of water, it actually was overweight on the rear axle! These are certainly very towable with smaller SUVs than our Tahoe, but you still have to keep in mind how you pack. Now, we don't prefill the water until we know we will need it (last water fill before we will need it), and we purchase our food after we arrive at our campsite, or just before we arrive. I do use a WDH to make sure the weight is evenly split between the front and rear wheels. While I feel this is important, others quite passionately defend not using a WDH. My reasoning is that (1) it takes some stress off of the rear wheel bearings and (2) equal weight distribution is safer if you encounter an unforeseen emergency situation. But certainly, under normal circumstances, you wouldn't even notice any difference.

A pickup truck (especially your 3/4T) is probably designed for heavy loads anyway, but it's probably not a bad idea to go onto a scale and see what the individual axle weights turn out to be.

We pulled it put the Grapevine leading into LA with our 4.6L Explorer, not a single problem. The newer 6, 8, and 10 speed automatics make towing MUCH easier, although I still prefer V8's and full frame vehicles for towing.

Have fun, and keep us posted!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote