View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #1
Beamrider
Site Sponsor

Default First Big TM Trip

My wife and I have been campers for about 40 years. We both enjoyed the outdoors, and with our small family, decided camping was a cost efficient way to travel and visit various places. Over the years we have had various tents, a small coleman pop-up and a 30ft travel trailer with 2 slideouts we purchased in 2012.

When I purchased the TT I had a 1/2 ton Silverado ("Yes sir. It's half ton towable!") for towing and after a trip or 2 decided that a 3/4 ton would be a wise decision. I traded in the truck for a 3/4 ton Silverado HD 4WD and, after THE sway incident, purchased a Pro Pride Trailer hitch (Costly but worth EVERY penny). Towing the trailer became MUCH easier and I never regretted the upgrade of the truck or the hitch. We used it for several trips every year in our homestate but my wife and I decided that it wasn't something we wanted to tow across the country.

In 2021 we made the decision to retire in early 2022 so we started looking for a trailer of some sort that we wouldn't mind towing. I discovered TrailManor from a Youtube video and wanted to see one but none were found our homestate. We decided we were gonna have to travel to SD just so we could see one when a friend told "I think I saw one for sale near here". We checked it out, and sure enough there was a 2007 3124KB in a front yard for sale. It had originally been purchsed by a farmer that had it set up in a barn for his granchildren to use. The current owners had it stored in a garage and had only used it 2 or 3 times before deciding camping wasn't for them. My wife and I were amazed at the simplicity of setup and the fantastic condition of the 2007 ( It looked brand new!) and the 3124KB had the room we wanted (One end for us, the other end for our 2 labs). We immediately purchased the TM and took it home.

We took the TM out twice in '21 and I made a few monifications (water fill when closed, battery kill switch..etc) and were happy with our purchase. We retired early in '22 and decided it was time for a BIG trip. We towed the TM behind the 3/4 ton, with no weight distribution or sway control (over 2500 miles roundtrip), with absolutely no problem (I forgot it was there most of the time). My wife and I, and our 2 labs, were perfectly comfortable for the 6 week trip. We decided we like the TM much better than the TT and will be selling the TT soon.

When we pull the TM into a campground, we always see people watching us set it up and always get 3 or 4 wanting to talk about it and check out the inside. I have lost count of the people I have talked to about the TM (dozens!). We are now official TM fanatics and have decided that if we ever need to replace this one it will be with a new TM.

We are currently planning another BIG trip in the opposite direction for later this summer...
Beamrider is offline   Reply With Quote