View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Dogs View Post
Bobby:

I went to yout link on the previous post and see what you mean about using one rubber grommet. OK but I would have had another problem. The metal washer under the outside nut would not fit inside the aluminum wheel valve hole. Only the nut would have fit and there would be not a good way to spin the nut tight unless it was somehow held in place with perhaps a screwdriver blade held against the hex nut side and then spin the whole valve stem from the inside.

Then the concern would be that the nut might turn later on and then the stem would become loose.

The metal washer doesn't go INSIDE the valve hole, just on top of the hole, and will cover the hole. It will lay flat against the wheel lip.

You don't tighten the nut tight enough to spin the metal stem, and if so... have overtightened it. If you are spinning the metal stem, then the rubber grommet either has to spin too, or the stem spins inside the grommet. Neither of these scenarios is good for the rubber. The metal washer in the previous step also acts as a lock washer to an extent, to keep the nut from backing off later on.

I have my camera up here at the shop. When I get time, I will run out there and show all the steps to properly installing the TR416 valve stem....and post them.