View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
isotherm

Default TM 2417 Sport, TM 2619, or TM 2619 Sport?

We've decided we want a TrailManor. We had a 16' Scamp and liked it, but the family is growing: 3 young children, currently. Everyone seemed to recommend a popup for more space, so we tried a lightweight tent camper (Livin' Lite), but the setup time and effort is too much, and there's no potential to set up on the roadside if necessary (meal, rest stop). I've tried a TrailManor locally and like the quick setup and the space. So, here we are.

But the question is, which model? We are towing with a 2012 Honda Odyssey, equipped with tow package and Prodigy brake controller. I am getting rear airbags installed to help with the sag. I set up a spreadsheet to check GVWR, both GAWR, and GCVW for various configurations of passengers, weights, etc. The summary seems to be that we could handle up to a 3100# trailer with up to 5 children, even as they grow older.

The current best seems to be a 2417, especially Sport. Considerations:
  • + For now, all of the children can sleep on the king bed.
  • + Later, the dinette could be converted for additional room.
  • + We like the cassette toilet better than the recirculating.
  • + The Sport model is narrower (better visibility in mirrors), and lighter.
  • + It is the lightest weight available: seems like ~2450# dry with options (A/C, bathroom).
  • + Has the outside storage for easy access to cords, hose, etc.
  • - Current inventory is at far away dealerships (at least 14-24 hour drive). Otherwise, wait.
  • - More expensive, $10k-$14k (understandable, since there are no older models).
  • - The equipment (refrigerator, hot water heater) isn't as big as the larger models.

Runner up is a 2619, the next lightest that is commonly available. Considerations:
  • + Has refrigerator with freezer, larger stove, oven, etc.
  • + Has enough sleeping room for now, if the dinette is converted.
  • + Has larger bathroom area with tub (good for baths for children).
  • + Nearby, only 4 hours away. Seems like a more common model.
  • + Economical, $6k-$7k.
  • - Would likely want recirculating toilet replaced with cassette.
  • - Not much room for expansion, as children couldn't sleep sideways in the double bed.
  • - The dry weight on the sticker is right under 3000#. I feel this could be pushing it?

Wildcard is a 2619 Sport. Considerations:
  • + Has refrigerator with freezer, larger stove, oven, etc.
  • + Has plenty of room to both sleep and dine up to 8, or sleep 6 without converting one of the dinettes.
  • + Dry weight is sure to be lower than 2619, but not sure how much. (I haven't heard a weight from the sticker yet.) Based on some archived literature, my guess is 300# lighter, or about 2700#.
  • + Very economical, $4k-$6k.
  • - Seem very uncommon. Medium distance away.
  • - No bathroom. Would try to add cassette toilet next to wall A/C...
  • - Resale ability/value seems poor without the bathroom.

I am hoping for suggestions, recommendations, or any other input. I imagine others with minivans have gone through this sort of decision process, and I would greatly appreciate advice. We hope to make a good selection and keep it at least until the kids are moved out.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote