View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoadjuster View Post
I only wanted to know how much weight was on the tires, so I weighted it hooked to the van with the equalizer hitch installed. Exactly how would you weight the tongue.
There are a couple of ways to figure the tongue wieght. Weigh your Sprinter by itself with the equalizer hitch in place, and if possible your bars hooked on and just hanging.....I think you can do that with Equalizer but not other brands. Then hook up the TM while leaving the WDH bars loose, and pull the Sprinter on the scales, but leave the trailer wheels off of the scales. The difference of those 2 weights will be your tongue weight....that is the additional weight that the tongue is adding to your TV. You can weigh the Equalizer setup on some bathroom scales to see what the total is hanging on the hitch.

You can also weigh the Sprinter by itself, add the TM and weigh everything, then weigh the axle of the TM only. The total weight minus the Sprinter is the total weight of the TM, and then subtract the TM axle only weight, and that shoud give you a tongue weight.

Since you are already using a WDH, you are on the right track. You can do a bunch of weigh-ins with the front axle of the Sprinter, combinations, and the TM axle to tweak the settings on the WDH.

Chap