View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I wish we had him here to help us with our tire decisions.
What an introduction! I appreciate the compliment.

Welcome to the family of trailmanor owners, Mbhelm. I can certainly understand your frustration, but I don't think changing trailers is the answer. You will read tire horror stories in the Airstream, Casita, and Jayco forums as well.

Our members here have been trying out different tires, and other things, that have all been mentioned by B and D, Mac_Falls, and PopBeavers above.

Tire failures can be caused by so many different things. Sometimes it's age, brand of tire, pressure, load, damage.......or a combination of all.

We are still early in what is referred to here as the "great tire experiment". We are experimenting with different brands, sizes, load ranges, etc....all in order to see if we can come up with our own recommendations of things that that may work better for our members. It is an entire community effort. We are thinking that the stock 14 inch tires (on Tmanors equipped with that size) are almost being stretched to their load carrying capacities (or maybe over).......hence we are changing to tires with higher load capabilities.

In your case, the two options that seem to be working well so far for everyone that has tried it.....is to either upgrade your wheels and tires to 15" or use a LT Euro metric 14 inch tire. This Euro tire will be an 8 ply rated tires as opposed to your stock 6 ply rated marathons.

The cheapest and easiest route, is to go with the Euro metric tires. You won't have to change wheels, but will get a tire that is designed for more load and speed. You can easily find these tires in the Kumho, Hankook, and Cooper/Mastercraft brands. Tirerack.com is one place to look, if you don't have a local dealer who can get them. We have several members who have done this, and I have heard nothing negative so far. A 195/R14C Euro size tire will almost be a direct drop in replacement to your stock 215/75R14 marathon. Some of our members are also trying out a 205/R14C Euro tire, which is a little taller than the marathon. Don't get confused by the "C" designation in the Euro sizes. It doesn't mean it's a Load Range C tire (which is 6 ply, like your marathons)....but means "commercial".......as in heavier commercial applications. Those Europeans have a different way of doing/designating everything.

I would heed Mac_Falls warning about the valve stems, and use the metal type, instead of the rubber stems. It will also help you later on down the road, if you decide to put an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system on your trailer (which is another thing that our members are trying).

You should be able to find all kind of info on everything I referred to above, here in the forums. We have had many discussions about all of it.

Again, welcome to the family. Everyone here is most helpful....................unless you are a Longhorn fan. LOL