Thread: Flood damage?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

"Clear title" means that they own it outright - they don't owe anyone (such as a bank or finance company) any money on it. This is a good thing, since it means that when you have bought it from them, you have really bought it - no one is going to come knocking on your door demanding any payment. When you buy it, the Bill of Sale (make sure you get one, signed by the Seller) should contain the phrase "There are no liens on this vehicle."

A side A/C means that it is almost certainly a 2002 model or earlier. My 2002 2720SL had a roof airco, which surprised the dealer when it came off the truck at his dealership. He knew that the change to roof air was coming, but expected mine to have side air when it arrived. There may be a few 2003 models with side air, especially the larger models, but not many.

A "fresh water flood"? What was the source of the water? A broken pipe, an overflowing bathtub? Or an overflowing river? How long did the water sit in the trailer? An hour, or a couple weeks? How deep (inside the trailer) did it get? If the water was more than a couple inches deep, the converter may have taken a hit, although there is a drain near the converter, and the propane detector may have as well.

Wood can be the real problem. As has been pointed out, there is a lot of interior wood in the panelling, shelves, and so forth, and you can inspect all of this. It is visible if you poke around. However, the floor structure is wood framed, and is almost waterproof. If water got down into it - and it surely did if the water sat for more than an hour or so - I don't know how it would get out. And there is no way for you to get into the structure and inspect it. So you would be subject to both mold and wood rot.

When did the flood occur? If it was this summer, for example, then you have not seen the end of things. On the other hand, if it was 5 years ago, the situation may be different. Anything that is going to happen will already have happened.

I personally would pass on a trailer that was seriously flooded. There is just too much possibility of hidden damage. Depending on the severity of the flood, the owners probably got a hefty settlement, if not a total buyout, from their insurance company, and so they should be willing to let it go for next to nothing. Is this the case? Doesn't sound like it.

Just my thoughts, before having my morning coffee.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote