View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #61
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As is common, a lot of folks are talking engines. But you should probably start by considering the vehicle's tow rating. And I am referring to the ADJUSTED tow rating. Every vehicle I have seen has a tow rating, and it is easy to find it among the vehicle specs. What is not as easy to find, though, is how you have to adjust that tow rating by subtracting the weight of the passengers other than the driver, and the weight of all the cargo you will put in the wayback of the vehicle. Yes, it is a pound-for-pound reduction in tow rating. If you plan to add a spouse at 150 pounds, two kids at 75 pounds, and 200 pounds of "stuff" in the cargo area of the SUV, then the tow rating is reduced by 500 pounds.

I'm not sure how hitch weight falls into this, but remember that a camp-ready TM will have a hitch weight of 400-450 pounds.

And remember that the TM web site, like most RV sites, will tell you the dry weight of the trailer. But by the time you have added the heavy options such as the air conditioner and awning, and all the stuff you put inside the TM, it probably weighs 800-1000 pounds more than the dry weight.

Finally, do a mental adjustment that takes into account where you plan to take your TM. It should be obvious, but you need more tow vehicle if you are going high into the Rockies than you need if you plan to stay in Florida or Kansas.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote