View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
FYI, the reason you install the fuses in these positions is to protect the wire, in addition to the appliance.

In option 2, for example, let's assume some insulation on the wire had worn through a bit halfway under the trailer and shorted to the frame. If you had installed the fuse at the jack, it would of course blow as it's supposed to. But since the short is in between the fuse and the battery, the fuse did not interrupt the circuit, and thus, current continues to flow through the short.

This obviously is not ideal. At the very least, it will quickly drain your battery. And at most, a fire will start and your trailer will burn to a crisp.

If you had installed the fuse at the battery, the fuse will blow, and the circuit is interrupted.

This is also the reason your circuit breaker or fuse box in your home is exactly at the spot where the wires enter your house from the road.

Dave
Dave,

I think you may have missed something. Option 2 says "install a 30A inline fuse right at the battery." If there is a short anywhere in the line, including at the jack, it would blow the fuse........... Am I missing something??

Option 3 would be tapping into the charge line which is already fused at the battery. The fuse that I suggest would just be easier to replace if the jack over-loads the circuit.