View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Elderdude

Default Need to replace Atwood tongue jack

Bought my 2006 2720 SL, (prevoiusly owned but well cared for,) several years ago. Never knew how to maintain the original 1000 lb jack, banged it more than once driving without fully retracting, until it is now rudely obstinate, and a reminder that I should always use deodorant. I would like to try an electric jack, but wonder if it is worth the money and the trouble. I do not have a trail manor service qualified person within 200 miles, I need to find an easy method to do it myself, which may confine me to a manual jack, (which I have already removed and am confident I can hook up.)

Both electric and manual jacks with a 2" outer shaft are availabe locally, at Camper World. I assume anything rated 1000# or better would be suitable. But I have trouble lifting my 12 oz. Miller Lite, so something that my wife can operate would be appreciated. (Barb drinks 32 ouncers.)

But wiring the electric option to the positive terminal of the battery, which is located in the rear presents a problem. I don't bend much anymore, (too much Miller Lite,) and don't really know how to string 25' of #10 wire underneath the trailer securely and neatly. I've also read something about blowing out the converter when hooked up on shore power.

Has anyone done the conversion? Is there a more available connection I can tap into close to the front?
V6 with tow package
Elderdude is offline   Reply With Quote