View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweidig View Post
you should be OK for 300 miles.
Famous last words .........As you may well be right, I wouldn't do it myself.

If those are the original tires, they could easily be 7+ years old. Most of us have recognized that you should not push past 6 years on your trailer tires. Some here recommend 3 years (depending on the tire rating).

Several TM owners have had blow-outs on 3-year old tires and the damaged tires (on some) have caused some very expensive to repair damage, They often tear out the holding tank plumbing, sometimes damage the holding tank itself and sometimes tear out the wheel well lining and damage the interior cabinetry.

To ME.....It's just not worth the risk. Even if I had to pay $100 more buying the tires out-of-town, I would opt to change the old tires (if they are 5+ years-old) rather than drive 300 miles on them. Under 5-years-old..... I might consider it but I would never recommend it to others. No matter what, if the tires have rubber valve stems, I would recommend changing them to all steel valve stems immediately (no matter what the cost).

As for LT vs ST tires........quite controversial subject. Myself......I tend to feel that the tire manufacturers know what they are doing when they offer a specially built tire just for trailers.