View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
PopBeavers

In 14 trips and 4700 miles over the last 18 months there was one occasion where I wish I had a microwave. My son's bowl of chili got cold and it would have been handy to warm it back up. However, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to set up the generator so that we could run the microwave to warm up a single bowl of chili. I have only had hookups on two of the trips.

Between May and October we have never had a reason to run the heater except for a few minutes in the morning to take the chill out. Again, without hookups I have no use for an electric heater. You would not be able to run any electric heater from batteries and running a generator would be ineffieient.

The most common complaint of the furnace is that it is noisey when the fan is blowing.

We did use a ceramic electric heater for 2 days last November when we had hookups. I had the furnace on the lowest possible setting, just in case the electric heater was not enough. I never heard the furnace come on.

I weighed our rig once. The weight on the TM axle was 3380 pounds. I did not weigh the tongue, but would guess it was around 400-450 pounds. So the total weight was around 3800 pounds, fully loaded with foor, water, etc. Plus I had stuff in the back of the truck.

On one occasion I had to make a panic stop. It felt like I was able to stop in the same distance with the TM as I would have without it. I agree with others that having sufficient power to pull the TM is not the biggest safety issue. In a panic stop, going down hill, in a turn, along side a guard rail with a cliff next to you, I don't like feeling marginal.