View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The tow vehicle you describe is much more than adequate to the task. You should have no concerns, even without a WDH.

One thing all TM owners should be aware of. Every magazine article and video about towing says you should have a minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch. But 10% is right on the edge, and it is easy to misjudge a bit and get into danger territory. However, there is nothing wrong with having more than 10% of the weight on the hitch.

The inventor of the Trailmanor didn't like sway, so to avoid it, he positioned the axle a bit further back than usual, and the hitch weight is usually around 14% of the trailer weight. As a result, hitch weight is higher than you would expect, but Trailmanors don't sway. That's why you will hear many members say "You need a weight distribution hitch, but you don't need sway control."

I myself have towed TMs for 20 years, 7500-10,000 miles a year. I have never experienced the slightest tendency to sway. This includes big rigs passing, sudden winds as I drive out of a tunnel or beyond a natural wind barrier, emergency maneuvers - the entire gamut of causes.

So I think you are good.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote