View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The length and width aren't really critical. You can probably estimate the length (front-to-back direction) by looking at the screw holes in the bumper. From memory, 5 inches or so would be fine. Assuming that there are no marks on the bumper to help you guess the width, I think 2 inches would be fine.

The important item is the thickness, and I'm guessing 1/2 inch. The idea is that when the shell rests on the bumper, you can still latch the latches. If the original pads are gone, it is possible that the previous owner re-adjusted the corner latch on each side to make up for it. If so, you will need to adjust the latches back outward - they should require pressure that is just a bit more than gentle, but not at all forceful. You should see the shell move down a very small amount as you latch them.

The hardness of the rubber is hard to describe, except to say that it is about as hard as tire tread. In fact, some of our members have picked up a hunk of tread from beside the road and cut it to the desired size. Apparently this worked well.

One of our members found slabs of the right material on Amazon - you still have to cut it to size.

You could always query the TM parts department, and most likely they can send you some. I don't think it is a secret that parts are expensive from any RV shop, including TM. So since I am cheap, I would go with the tire tread approach.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote