View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larroni View Post
Hi: This website is great, can get so much information here. We are still deciding whether we should get a TM or not. Because of answers we got here last month about our towing vehicle, we traded our 2005 Town and Country for a 2008 V6 Dodge Dakota with towing package, hitch towing capacity is 5000lbs and if we add a WDH we are suppose to be able to tow 8000lbs. So of course the dealer said no problem towing a 3000lb trailer. But having read many of your replys to prospective owners questions (us included) about towing weight, I know the most important fact to consider is the GVTW. But I have not been able to find this information anywhere for our Dakota, not even on the Dodge website which is where the owner's manual tells you to look. So my question is: Does anyone on this website tow their TM with a Dodge Dakota with V6 engine and what size is your TM? What can we do to make our Dakota ready for towing other than what we have already? And the only TMs we seem to find for sale that are in our price range are 30/23 size, that weight may be pushing our luck. We plan to go to mountain areas but would try to find campground at lower elevation and unhook the TM before checking out the mountains themselves. But figure some climbing is going to happen while towing so just don't know if Dakota will be able to handle it. Any help with this delima would be greatly appreciated but especially would like to hear from any Dakota owner's if there are any. Thanks, Roni
I'm not sure what "GVTW" is. What you need to find is "GCWR" (Gross Combined Weight Rating). This will tell you what the vehicle is rated for the combination of Tow Vehicle, loaded trailer, passengers and cargo.