View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I will try to measure my 2720SL again later today. It seems to me that when I measured it several years ago, the overall length was exactly 20 feet, rather than 20 feet 1 inch, but the swing hitch subtracted only 23 inches rather than 24.

Swing hitch closed and latched, length 239 1/2 = 23 ft 11-1/2 inches. Swing hitch open, length 216 1/2 = 18 feet 1/2 inch

If you are going to do a retrofit on an existing trailer, I would imagine (I don't know) that the folks doing the work would have a little bit of freedom in exactly where they make the cut. In other words, if you need it to shorten the trailer by 25 inches rather than 24 inches, they might be able to accommodate you. As you see in the link from Kidkraz above, it depends partly on what model your trailer is (2720 vs 2720SL, for example), and also on whether you want it to swing or detach, with or without the propane bottles. Read that thread carefully.

As for getting a local welder to do it, I would be concerned that the main issue is explaining to him exactly what it is you want him to do. The cutting and welding isn't hard. Understanding, in advance, exactly what has to be cut and welded, and how it all fits together, is the issue.

A word of advice. When you take your trailer in for the retrofit, make sure that the snap-up brackets for the WDH are mounted in the proper location. There is a lot going on in that area, and the last thing you want is to find that they made the cut right where your snap-up brackets need to go.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote