View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

jenkinlb, welcome!

I have a 2417KD (dinette on front end). I had a Jayco popup, then got an original 2417 Sport (it was 6" narrower than the 2417 Classic lineup, and the Classic size was not available when I bought the Sport). So, I have had two 2417 models.

The 2417 of either line is going to max your towing safety, in my opinion. My 2417s weigh 3500 lbs + when loaded for a camping trip - propane, food, water, living items. So, you would be right at your max. Not a good idea. If you didn't load water for the trip, you would save 320 lbs (I have the 40 gal tank), but that is not enough to get back into the "comfortably-safe" zone.

When I got my 2417 Sport, I had a Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V-8 engine. It would tow it, but when I went up into the mountains, or up steep hills along I-25 in Colorado, it bogged-down. The wife's 5.7L Hemi Grand Cherokee did much better, at the expense of about 4 mpg between no trailer, and towing. I currently have a 2014 diesel Grand Cherokee which does much better than the Hemi. All this is to say that I would not tow it with a Caravan, regardless of what TrailManor says. As MarkoPolo says, maybe you can tow in flat areas, but forget about going into hill country or mountains!

I'll share anything you want to know about the 2417 models, if you have more questions. We love ours (we got rid of the Sport as we didn't need the second bed. Thus the 2417KD).
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote