View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
rtry9a

I keep hearing comments here about needing a long wheelbase TV to tow a trailer. By that logic, all semi tractors are garbage- I cannot agree with that at all. Why the concern? Ive towed loads with several rigs, incl an F150, Suburban, and w/18 wheels etc- my favorite small rig is the Ford Explorer which happens to have a relatively short wheelbase.

I currently tow a 3023 with a six cylinder 4X4 Explorer Sport 2-door (102" wheelbase) that has handled all towing tasks, including a heavy power boat, extremely well so far on flats, in mountains, cross winds (live in Utah, btw). It backs like a dream with the short wheelbase. It does have aftermarket overload springs, bigger wheels, a wd hitch, and the OEM tow package that includes 4.1 gearing and rated for near 5000 lbs.

FWIW, I believe the important distance is between ball and the rear axle, not between axles when cross stability is concerned. My guess for the old wives tale is that the longer wheelbase might help when a wd hitch is NOT used- the longer lever would force more weight to the front wheels better than a short lever might. The wd hitch mechanically equalizes weight on all three axles.