View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #2
Larry_Loo

Question How difficult was it to regear your transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRay
Last year (before I regeared the truck's axles from 3.91 to 4.30 in November), I was getting between 12 and 15 mpg towing (12 something going up into the mountains, 14 something (almost 15) coming back down and on level ground). Non-towing, I was getting between 19 and 21 on the highway. The regearing may drop my mileage about 1/4 mpg...but contrary to intuition it also may increase it a bit. Here's why: Before I regeared, I often had to run at about 72 - 75 mph when towing to get max torque out of the engine and avoid 3->2 downshifts on the steeper grades. With the regearing, I can achieve max torque RPM (about 3200) at 65 to 70 mph. In addition to being safer, the lower speeds will also result in substantially less aerodynamic resistance...and better gas mileage.
Ray, I thought about regearing my F-150's transmission after we purchased our TM trailer. We purchased our truck from an individual who had won it in a drawing. It came with only 300+ miles on it and at a bargain price. Of course, it wasn't equipped with some of the options that I wanted, like power windows. Its low axle ratio and lack of a tow package never bothered me - until after we got our TM. Then I thought about having someone install higher ratio rear axle gears in it, but, never did it. I'm a dunce when it comes to vehicle engines and transmissions. Just out of curiosity, how difficult and complicated was your truck's rear axle modification?