View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Philip

Default Brake Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokilo View Post
When was the last time you did the lockup test with your 14" tires? If it was a a few years ago then the following may be a remote possibility. You may have corrosion in the wiring to the brakes which is adding resistance to the circuit, decreasing your braking current and your braking power. It could be anywhere in the brake circuit common to both wheels but some areas are very vulnerable. The wire nuts used to connect the magnet wires to the brake wires are open to the elements and the wire can turn to powder over time. Corrosion in the drivers side connections (which feeds both brakes) could effect braking of both wheels.

I have had to replace both my brake assemblies because the magnet wires corroded right back through the backing plate into the drum. That on a 5 year old TM with no road salt exposure. In my case the circuit to the drivers side magnet went completely open which lead me to find the corrosion.

I have upgraded to 15" tires and will be upgrading my controller to a Prodigy II in a few days once I finish the brake replacement and rewiring. It will be interesting to see where I get lockup.

Hope you don't have creeping brake crud.

Peter
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your comment.

Oddly, I removed the wire nuts that connect the power to the brakes just before I did this test. The wires were somewhat corroded. I cut of the corroded section and stripped the wires back to good wire before reinstalling the wire nuts. As I mentioned in another comment on a different post, I am going to replace the wire nuts with high quality crimp connectors that have adhesive sleeves. It is rediculous that they ever use wire nuts in an exterior application - especially an item as critical as brakes. When I inspected the brakes at tire size change, I did not notice any problem with the magnet wires.

I would be interested in your results with brake controller setup after you install the 15" tires. Let me know your setting.

Again, thank you for the comments,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote