View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
kokilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Just so everyone knows, I checked and adjusted the brakes on the TM when I put the new 15" tires on. Brake linings, drums and magnets looked very good. No scoreing and good lining thickness.
When was the last time you did the lockup test with your 14" tires? If it was a a few years ago then the following may be a remote possibility. You may have corrosion in the wiring to the brakes which is adding resistance to the circuit, decreasing your braking current and your braking power. It could be anywhere in the brake circuit common to both wheels but some areas are very vulnerable. The wire nuts used to connect the magnet wires to the brake wires are open to the elements and the wire can turn to powder over time. Corrosion in the drivers side connections (which feeds both brakes) could effect braking of both wheels.

I have had to replace both my brake assemblies because the magnet wires corroded right back through the backing plate into the drum. That on a 5 year old TM with no road salt exposure. In my case the circuit to the drivers side magnet went completely open which lead me to find the corrosion.

I have upgraded to 15" tires and will be upgrading my controller to a Prodigy II in a few days once I finish the brake replacement and rewiring. It will be interesting to see where I get lockup.

Hope you don't have creeping brake crud.

Peter