View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Philip

Default Problem Setting Power On Prodigy Brake Controller After Upgrading To 15" Tires

Hello Again Folks,

I recently upgraded my 2720 TM to 15" wheels. After doing this I thought it would be a good idea to check the power setting on my Prodigy brake controller which I purchased in 2009 and used on my TV and TM when I had the factory 14" wheels. I assumed that I would have to make minor adjustments to the power setting with the slightly larger and slightly wider
15" tires.

When I did the original power setup for the 14" tires I ended up with the power at 6.1 and boost at 1. A setting slightly above 6.1 power level locked the wheels as recommended in the manual for power setup.

After installing the new 15" tires, I again went out on a quiet section of road to check the power setting. I went throught the procedure to set the power level by increasing the power setting and driving at the prescribed speed of 25MPH and manually applying full power. No matter how much I increased the power setting, I could not get the wheels to lock up. Eventually I ended at the Max. setting of 13 but still no wheel lock up. It was, however, quite evident that as I went up the power setting that the TM was holding back the TV more and more. Eventually, out of desperation or perhaps frusteration, I changed the boost setting to 2 with the power still at Max.(13). This should, I thought have no effect on wheel lock up since boost just controlls the rate you reach Max. power. Low and behold the wheels locked up on the test run with this boost setting. Just to check I reduced the boost to 1 again(leaving the power at Max.(13)), I did the test again. The wheels did not lock but just as before it felt as if the TM was really holding the TV back.

Since I did not like how the TM reacted to braking in boost 2 - it seamed to brake in an excessive manner during slow braking - and the Prodigy manual did not recommend boost 2 for the TM trailer weight vs. the TV weight, I switched back to boost 1. Just from the feel of braking in the TV, I also reduced the power to 10 from 13. During hard braking the TV does not feel as if it is being pushed by the TM and brake peddle force in the TV does not feel greater than when I make a similar stop without the TM attached.

Just so everyone knows, I checked and adjusted the brakes on the TM when I put the new 15" tires on. Brake linings, drums and magnets looked very good. No scoreing and good lining thickness.

Has anyone else run into this problem and if so what did they end up doing? Also, it would help to know the power setting other Prodigy controller users end up with when towing a 2720 TM with 14" and 15" tires.

I have a feeling, certainly not sure, that the 15" tires greater leverage(diameter) on the brake and larger surface on the road may make it difficult for the 2720 brakes to slide them. It really should not be necessary since the 15" tires are probably giving me more stopping power than the 14" tires.

Comments greatly appreciated!

Take care,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote