View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If I am reading you correctly, you lost one sidewall of one shell. Assuming the "fiberglass" (it is probably aluminum, by the way) came off cleanly, and didn't rip or shatter, this may be a do-able project. The thing that is working in your favor is that the wall is flat, as opposed to the roof, which has fancy curves and bends. It won't be a fun project, but I bet you could cut new frame members out of wood or (better) aluminum U-channel and/or square tube, and put them in place as you remove the old rotted members.

I'll be brave and suggest that if you decide to go with wood, you might even consider pressure-treated wood, so it doesn't happen again. After cutting each piece, you might want to seal all surfaces to confine the preservative.

If you lost the "fiberglass" siding, you can buy aluminum sheets and cut them to shape. RV repair places use a lot of this stuff, pre-painted and ready to go. It would probably be a bit expensive to buy it through a repair place, but if they can get it from a supplier, so can you.

I'm thinking that a repair would be easier and cheaper than building a whole new top section from scratch.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote