View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #29
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Truck Talk

This thread's gone on awhile now, well past the point where we stopped talking about helping somebody choose a Traverse for towing. But as always, I learn a lot when we wander off into truck talk:

- There's no problem loading a pickup until the springs bottom as long as you pad them a lot so that they don't break so much.
- A 7% or so loss of steering/braking caused by 200+ pounds coming off the front axle of a 150" wheelbase vehicle without a WDH just can’t be important, since it only happens when you're towing.*

*Mtnguy’s numbers showed us that his 480# tongue added 700# to the rear axle and took 220# off the front wheels without a WDH (by my calculations, you could make this up pretty well by driving a couple of mph slower, but that’s another subject). In my vehicle the no-WDH penalty is much more severe, of course, but the silver lining for me is that instead of subtracting weight, the WDH actually adds 100# up front when hitched. Mtnguy’s numbers: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7041
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote