View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Definite maybe. First you have to have the right class III hitch like this and you may need to add suspension capability and a Weight Distributing Hitch.

OK basically you have a 3650 lb car with a unibody rated to pull 3000 lbs (and by implication a 300 lb tongue weight).

2417 has a dry weight of 2200 lbs and 320 lb tongue (TMs are tongue heavy to reduce sway so you are marginal but a 1,000 lb WDH may help). However when loaded could exceed 3,000 lbs easily.

Next issue is the Unibody (does not have a separate frame). My GC is a Unibody also with a 3.6 V6 but the chassis was designed for towing up to 7,000 lbs and has a class IV receiver. I hardly notice the 2720SL out back but am also patient when in tow.

Powertrain is certainly up to the job though may need to add oil and trans coolers if in a hot climate. Those are essentially bolt-ons.

What I would be concerned about is the rear sub frame or lack of one on a car not really designed for towing. I towed A Lot with a Pontiac Minivan with 3.8 V6 also rated at 3,000 lbs but tongue weight was not an issue.

Since I don't think you would want to wind up with a bent car the tongue weight is the real issue to be concerned about particularly if you tow on rough roads. I would look into being able to strengthen the rear possibly with added channels from the receiver to the rear suspension and adding load levelers to the rear

This can be done but you probably should consider something larger for your next car if you plan on a lot of camping. Might mention that your Outback and a 2014 GC have the same EPA MPG rating on 87 PON (plug)