View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #30
OffToDaRaces

Default Rear vision cameras

I am a new guy to this family. I just purchased a Trailmanor 2720 and am looking forward to many years of frequent use.

My previous camper was an Aliner Expedition with A/C. This particular model has a wall mounted a/c unit on the left side of the camper, directly affecting rear vision while towing. The Expedition is also quite tall, blocking rear vision out of my TV.

My solution to the problem was to install a quality color, rear vision camera on the camper. My TV is equipped with a factory navigation system. Through the use of a few relays and an adapter made for my vehicle, I was able to mount the camera and use it as I wished. I have two relays on my center comsole that alllows me to switch from the TV's rear vision camera and the camper rear vision and back, I can view the areas that are monitored by glancing at the Nav screen. This is especially helpful when backing into a camp site, and when backing into my garage.

To assist in connecting the TV to the camper, I painted a white dot on top of the hitchball. I painted a white line on the top of the tongue hitch. This makes it really easy for hook-ups, and to keep check on connections and whatever may be behind me on the highway, and the condition of any items carried on the back of the camper.

Through the use of another switch I can look behind the camper while driving down the road. Combined with properly set mirrors, I have effectively eliminated blind spots.

I pruchased the camera , switches and adapter from local car stereo dealer. I hope this info helps someone who may be considering rear vision issues.