View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
n4qpcham

My wife has the same problem as Rumbleweed. She found a set of pet groomer's stairs at www.petedge.com for around $80. We bought the free-standing version as opposed to the hook-on-tub verson. They worked great except for one problem...they were about 3 inches too long end-to-end when opened and kept the bathroom door from closing. Also, the u-shaped support leg would not let the stairs slide closer to the bed. I ordered a set of the extension (hook) arms from the website and did some mods. First I drilled out the rivets on the u-shaped support leg and discarded it. Next I took the screws out of the top step and also drilled out the support/folding side arm's rivets. You will have to drill out the smaller holes on the side of the steps to where the rivets were connected. Then I turned the step around and reassembled the step with its folding/support arms, leaving off one arm on each side. I mounted pieces of swing set chain from the u-shaped support's connection slot to the free end of the step. The chain supports the end of the step towards the bed. Screws in the boxed side frame of the steps kept the extension (hook) arms from sliding past them, so I cut notches on the bottom of the extension arms to allow them to slide past the nuts and washer on the bottom. The screw head will deform the extension arm enough to allow it to slide over it. Doing this will allow the steps to clear the door.