View Single Post
Old 11-02-2003, 06:54 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:The dream became a reality!

[quote author=The Jankowski's link=board=1;threadid=1499;start=msg10570#msg10570 date=1067740893]I'm excited about finding a new tow vehicle. I'm not ruling out anything but we're leaning towards some kind of truck. The V-6 seemed to do a great job. Do you think a V-8 is necessary....say for maybe going through mountains or something? Just wondering. [/quote]
You've towed around the midwest - pretty flat country, and easy for a V-6 to handle. But now that you have your TM, you won't stay in flat country - the TM brings out the exploring instinct! My opinion, and my experience, is that if you get into any kind of mountains at all, you won't be happy with a V-6. And your V-6 won't be happy, either - it will be working REALLY REALLY hard as you slog up the grade in second gear at 35 mph, being passed by every car and 18-wheeler out there. Overstressing your engine and transmission is just plain false economy.

Unless you are sure you will stay in the flatlands, I suggest getting a V-8, though I know some others will disagree. But even more important than that, be sure to get a factory-installed towing package. The extra coolers, and the higher rear-end ratio will do a lot to extend the life of your vehicle and make towing more pleasant. The Class 3 hitch receiver that is part of the towing package would be quite expensive as an aftermarket add-on. And the pre-wired and moisture-sealed 7-pin electrical connector is SO nice.

And have fun in the mountains!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote