View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcdanel View Post
OK, I'm another (relatively) new owner. We are towing our 3023 with a 2009 Subaru Tribeca. We bought it with the towing package and had electric brakes installed. We do have the weight distributing hitch as well. So far we have taken two long trips: one to the Great Smokies and another to Eastern South Dakota (we live in central Indiana). Gas mileage is pretty poor, around 15 or 16 mpg but it seems to pull ok. What I'm wondering after reading the posts here is if we are underpowered. The Tribeca is rated at 3500 and the Trail Manor gives two gross weights, 2750 and 3000 lbs. We do carry a good bit of stuff and are really in no position to buy another vehicle to pull the thing with. Any suggestions?
My 3023 weighs about 4000# with what I consider to be a light load:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652

<paragraph deleted after I read a little on the Tribeca -- See post below>

There are a lot of posts in this forum about Gas mileage. Gas mileage of 15 or 16 is better than many tow vehicles running solo, and those are really not bad results while towing a TrailManor. More power or a bigger tow vehicle would definitely not make gas mileage any better.

I would expect that a 200hp v6 would be able to tow along the Interstate Highways anywhere, though perhaps not always holding the speed limit on long climbs. But if you take it easy (especially on hot summer days), you'll probably get where you need to go. As PitBull said a couple posts ago, take it easy!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote