View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
What do you think about installing the inverter right in the TM?
I presume you mean "put the inverter in the TM and use it to power the refrig and only the refrig". I don't believe it will work.

Regardless of where it is located, the inverter must get its power from the tow vehicle. The original problem was low voltage in the TM, caused by the heavy current running back to the TM. Because the voltage is so low back there, the TM battery actually tries to "help" power the refrig, and in doing so, discharges itself. If you put the inverter in the TM, it further increases the load back there, since the inverter is not 100% efficient. This creates an even lower voltage in the TM. The TM battery will try even harder to "help" power this load, and will discharge even faster. Does this make sense?

And don't even think about disconnecting the TM battery to isolate it from this problem while on the road. If you disconnect it, the breakaway switch won't work.

Even without other problems, the voltage in the TM will likely get so low that the inverter's undervoltage protection (set at about 11 volts) will shut down the inverter.

Sorry, but the inverter has to be in the tow vehicle, right up near the alternator. And you have to run an AC cord back to the TM. Like I said, this is not an ideal solution.

Good thought process, though. Fun, ain't it?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote