View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback, Rick, super helpful!. I hadn't considered unbalanced charging with batteries in parallel to the extent it might trip the BMS. I think your approach of not charging a parallel battery bank at a current that exceeds the individual charge current rating of any one of the batteries is a good idea. So in my case, that means certainly not to exceed 50A, but a bit under that to give a margin to avoid tripping the BMS.

I'm not at all fixated on the AIMS converter. I just found it through a 5-min search on converters with adjustable outputs. But given this discussion, I'm thinking an adjustable output is less of an issue, and makes me more want to consider the reputable PD units like the PD 4635VL or PD 4645VL. I'm more leaning towards the 35A unit -- that's plenty, I think, especially in combination with 300W of solar.

One issue I'm now facing has to do with finding suitable circuit protection between the panels and controller. I'm connecting the panels in series, so at around 65V max, the voltage will exceed the rating of most DC breakers and fuses I've found, even ATL fuses. Larger fuses like class T are rated for higher voltages, but I can't find a fuse small enough.....probably around 15A. Seems like it would be a pretty common problem for larger RV installs, and I think it is typically addressed with DIN-mount breakers. Those require a box though, and I was just trying to get away with a smaller footprint.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote