View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default GREAT DEAL on 'discontinued' Flex Panels...

For those owners who want Solar, but want to avoid the weight, Ebay seller 'recycledgoods.com' is selling 90W CIGS panels (just 4.6 lbs each!) at about $1.50 per Watt. These are from a bankrupt Oregon company 'Solopower' which, like the notorious Solyndra, went bankrupt while trying to use 'exotic' technology to build thin panels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SoloPower-SP...l/191414606314

In comparison, other lightweight panels (form Chinese companies) are going for $2.20 per Watt and higher. (Note that the even cheaper 136W Uni-Solar panels are built too long to fit any model of TM roof, so they don't count).

Note that the sun is never at a good angle for roof-mounted panels. Therefore, with a new installation intended for actual boondocking, I would recommend 3 or 4 of these, not just 1 or 2. I pondered doing an upgrade to 4 * 90W myself, but my current 200 Watts would become leftover junk - and my wife would not be pleased by seeing me "toss them" on Craigslist, or the local newspaper.
- - - -
There are two disadvantages with this implementation. First, flex panels are said to wear out faster (a lifespan 10-15 years on a roof at 80%+ of original power, versus 25+ years for heavyweight panels under glass).

And 2nd: These panels require an MPPT controller, at additional cost of $150 - $350. (They are 24 volt panels, and the TM uses a 12 volt battery configuration.) A $30 "PWM" Controller would only get a maximum about 50W from each of the panels. (In the "real world", with rooftop panel angles - maybe 30W).