View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Wingedryder

Default Roof painting/coating

daveinfl,

Was hoping you'd hear more suggestions here on the Forum by now regarding your leaking vents & roof seeping problem. "Bill" who, at my request did respond to you, was the gentleman I was hoping might have some background knowledge of your predicament as he's had a lot of TM experience (he's was instrumental in setting up the TM Forum, and his opinions I have come to regard highly, appears a real TM trooper, & is a very reliable source for TM fixes).

I'm surprised at the advice you rec'd from your 'Camping World' fellow. I know that the TM's aluminum exterior is coated with 'Krypto-something or other', a type of fiber glass (other TM owners may help me out with more specifics here).

When I speak of my former tent-trailer, it also had an aluminum roof, but had a thick, rolled on, fiber glass exterior (the thickness of a sheet of linoleum). W/in a year it began cracking and leak around the vents occurred). Camping World advised me to use their "Dicor" fiber glass roof sealer. I 'painted this on' two years in a row, and think it was well worth the trouble (but you have to apply a cleaner first, then skirt the sides to keep it from running down the sides - rather a chore!). Two coats of Dicor sealer for two subsequent years was not much more weight than a thick coat of paint would have been. My thoughts are certainly with you as this topic has been near and dear to my heart, unfortunately!

However, I do think you'd be well advised to contact the TM factory before applying anything at all. "Hopefully", you'll get a straight answer from them.

Best of luck! Will be watching your thread!
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote