View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingedryder View Post
What say you, Bill?
Assuming you are talking to me (we have severals Bills on the forum), I can't offer very much. I have never been through a roof leak problem. The weight-on-the-roof argument seems a bit thin, until I remember that you (FujiPedaler) are working on the biggest TM, a 3326. A big roof will take a lot of roofing compound, which would weigh perhaps 100 pounds once cured. And when you are done, if it is too heavy, I bet the 3326 already has TM's strongest torsion bar, so you cannot get a stronger one. So in this case, at least, I would listen to the factory.

The one reminder I would make is that like most caulks and sealants, Dow 5200 and probably Eternabond will stick very well to almost everything except themselves. Putting new caulk / sealant on old cured caulk / sealant is an exercise in futility. Instructions for preparations always seem to require that ALL old caulk be cleaned off, and the surface mechanically cleaned or chemically etched. For most of us, I imagine this means a lot of scraping with a putty knife or similar, followed by some coarse sandpaper, followed by a final wipedown with something like paint thinner. You did this, Dave, so I don't know what else could have gone wrong unless there is a break in the plastic housing of the vents themselves. That would be my next examination. Presumably you sealed the cracks when the vents were up. When you crank them down hard, do you see any cracks develop in the plastic or the base as the pressure deforms them?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote