View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

My (most unreliable) memory tells me that as the screws go in (tighten), lifting becomes easier. You will know after a couple of turns if you are going in the correct direction because you will notice it getting easier or harder to open the shell.

What is most important is to turn the screws the same amount on both sides, otherwise the lift will be uneven and the shell will end up twisting to one side. I used a silver sharpie to get a good mark on the screws and the piece it goes into. I also think I remember that the shell needs to be in the open position when you do this.

Anyone who really knows about this.. feel free to add your $0.02...

(I left this out on my first try). After each 1/2 on both sides, open and close the shell.. see how it feels. Not enough, tighten another 1/2 turn. Too much, back off a 1/2 etc. You need to test the results of efforts after every 1/2 turn

Lastly, I started out with 1/2 turns on each side... and got a little frustrated.. so I escalated to full turns .... I later this discovered that was NOT a good idea because I got to a point where I had a full turn on one side and the second side would not budge... even with all 150 Lbs of me hanging on the wrench feet braced on the side of the TM. .. yes I got a little extreme with it. So be patient, give yourself plenty of time and be patient. This is not something to do when you are in a hurry.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote