View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #35
PopBeavers

When I was in the Boy Scout Explorers, the adviser had a shot gun, sawed off to a length 1/4 inch longer than allowed by California law. As I recall that was 18 1/4 inches. I do not recall the gauge. It was not the small diameter shells, so I am guessing it was 20 and not 14.

We referred to it as the flaming dragon. At night it threw a flash of light out past the end of the barrel a few inches. Very intimidating to see.

Each year when the new kids arrived we let them have a turn first. Most had never fired a weapon before. They fired from a standing position. We always had someone standing behind them to catch them. Some fell over backwards, because we had not yet taught them to lean forward.

We fired home loads. The wad pressure was not consistent, so some shells had a little more kick than others.

As I recall, when traveling through a game refuge (at least in California) or through a National Park, you can not have a weapon in firing condition. You are required to partially disassemble the weapon. Don't quote me on that one.