View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hoo, boy -

After some conversation with Rick about a new Forum, I was reminded of some important access information.

If I browse the Board without logging in, I can see the collection of General Discussion forums - but I can't see any of the Technical Discussion forums! I don't even know they are there! But this is where the meat of the board is found - separate areas for Plumbing, Electrical, Frame and Running Gear, Appliances, several others - and yes, Solar Power.

To give me a taste of what else is back there, I can register as a Trial Member (free). I get temporary access to everything including the Technical Discussion forums, so I can see what I am missing. But this access goes away after 30 days. This may be where Rick got hung up - and probably other folks do as well.

Permanent access to these Technical Discussion forums is the carrot, the reward for becoming a Site Sponsor. If you like what you see, $12 a year is a pretty small entry fee.

Finally, regarding the Search tool. I routinely suggest that people use the Search tool to find info on a topic that I know has been discussed in depth. I have to admit that I don't like the basic Search tool. It is too broad, and returns too many hits. I always use the Advanced Search. It allows me to zero in on my topic, using multiple keywords, the name of the poster, the date of posting, or whatever else will narrow it down. This makes searching a lot more useful.

Does this all make sense to the new folks?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote