View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hi, Rick -

I'm one of the moderators (with Leon). As he said, we have made an attempt to set out separate categories for things that are naturally separate. Two years ago, the board was one big jumble, with only a few categories, and sure enough, almost everything was posted in the General Discussion category. It finally got so confusing that the webmaster and the moderators spent 6 months re-organizing the board, setting up new categories/forums, and manually moving thousands of posts into their proper place in the new layout. When we were done, most folks adapted pretty well to the new structure. But even today, a large part of the moderators' job is moving posts from General Discussion to their proper place. For example, there was a post earlier this evening looking for Solar Panel help - but it was posted under General Discussion, not in the Solar Power forum. Why? I don't know. So I moved it.

Do we do a perfect job of moving things? I'm sure not, but we tweak it as we have opportunity. I guess my point is that I'm not convinced that a separate "Mods" forum would be any different - people tend to gravitate to the General Discussion forum, and that's just the way it is.

There are two things that would really help keep the board clean and easy to use.
1. Choose the appropriate forum for your post. No big surprise here.
2. Before posting a question, use the Advanced Search tool to see if the question has already been asked, and discussed and/or answered.

In the end, you are right. My experience with the board has shown me that there are an amazing number of good modification ideas among our members. The problem is not in getting them posted, but in getting them posted in a way that is sufficiently organized that other members can find and use them, even six months or a year after the original posting.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote