View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
MisterP

Kn1ghtus - we are not berating you on your choice of tow vehicle, just offering opinions.

If the empty weight you are stating is from Trailmanor for the TM of interest, that is a bare trailer with no awning, air conditioner, batteries, any other accessories and the stuff you will put in it. Search for "Trailmanor weight" and read some values for trailers people are towing. One member says his 2720 is over 4000 lbs when set up to tow. Most members will state realistic towing weights are 1000 lbs or more above published empty weights.

Another consideration is using a weight distributing hitch (WDH). There are good websites describing how they work, not my intent here. But your vehicle with a 5000 tow capacity may have a 500 lb tongue weight limit. There should be a label on the hitch receiver. Trailmanors are known to be heavy on the tongue, so a 4000 lb TM could have a 600 lb tongue weight, exceeding the receiver capacity. The WDH transfers some of that weight to the front of the vehicle, improving handling and more important braking.

As an example, I am towing my 3326 with a Ford Expedition. My receiver says the capacity for towing is 5000 lbs without the WDH and over 8000 lbs with one.

I personally would not tow any Trailmanor without a WDH, particularly if using a smaller wheelbase vehicle. Other members will disagree with that opinion, it's purely a personal decision. Good luck with your choices and have fun!