View Single Post
Old 03-22-2022, 07:42 AM   #22
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default even Teflon tape (just one layer) has not created a conductivity "problem".

Interesting question from Bill.

I have been using 1/1-2 turns of non-conductive "Teflon Plumber's Tape" on my last few Rod changes, and those Anode Rods have still degraded appropriately. During installation, the threads are cutting through the tape, enough to support the miniscule "current" involved in the rusting process.

So I feel that a tiny amount of lubricant "anti-seize" on the Threads would have the same result - with no regard for whether the anti-seize is conductive or not, the heater's threads will cut against the rod's threads enough to provide adequate conductivity when the Rod has been tightened in.

I just hate the idea of putting a petroleum-based product on the Threads, causing a small amount to be squeezed towards exposure to the water upon tightening. Teflon tape is drinking water safe. In normal plumbing, I use at least 4 turns of tape before tightening threaded copper joints. But for this job, I use only 1-1/2: basically just one turn, plus enough to keep it from slipping while I thread the rod into the tank. So far, that minimal use has provided for 'good-enough' conductivity.

With a single layer of Teflon Tape preventing a lot of "grunge" from developing in the Threads, and doing a great job at lubricating the installation and subsequent removal, my last few anode rod changes have been super easy. (My first removal was very tough to accomplish, along the lines of the troubles described in this Thread).