View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Pableau

Default Towing with the new Volvo XC90 is too easy?

Just took my new (to me) TM 2720 on its maiden voyage. First time camper, first time towing anything, and wow!!

Place I bought the TM hadn't ever seen the setup that Volvo has come up with. You plug it in, and do nothing else. The vehicle has no manual (or other) controls for the breaking, it just works! Mechanic was amazed. I feel like I cheated to be honest, since I still don't know all the technical details of break controllers and it seems I won't, at least until something goes wrong.

I put the Volvo hitch package on, after much consideration of the couple of 3rd party options, but in the end decided I didn't want to deal with any potential software problems as the new XC90 is insanely complicated.

Plug in the power from the TM to the rig and the dash asks me if I want to do the trailer light testing (so I can do it without someone else to help) even! Pretty neat.

Attaching the vehicle to the hitch was also cool with a visual tow ball line showing where I'm going so I can back right up to it on the first try.

Hard to believe a 4 cyclinder engine can tow like this - smooth as can be.

I do have the air-suspension in the new TV, and the software uses that when unhitching it detects you have raised the trailer up and then lowers the suspension a bunch to save you from a half dozen more spins of the arm. Same goes when putting it on - raising it up once it realizes what you are doing. So far this has worked flawless, although I could see it making life challenging if it every went south.

I bought this vehicle after my last one was totaled on Christmas day of last year. That vehicle couldn't tow, and I was dreaming of a TM. Talk about lemons into lemonade!

Enormous thank you to this forum. Countless hours in here gave me the courage to make this leap (as someone that has never camped in anything but a tent, it really was scary)!!