View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Have been doing some reading on rv.net about WDHs and sway control, and Ron Gratz, the engineer who has the sticky there on the physics of WDH, claims that even the Reese Dual-Cam controls sway primarily through metal-on-metal friction in the cam area of the hitch.

The big difference is that it's asymmetric. There's less resistance when the trailer returns to centre. Whereas, sway control like in the Equal-i-zer 4 point, or the addon friction sway bars, has the same resistance as the trailer sways out and back in. He and others are not convinced that Dual-Cam's asymmetry is a good thing.

But most people report good results with any of these if they are properly set up (that's the hard part).

As for davlin's experience, I too wouldn't have hit the trailer brakes. But the truck might have done it for me. If its internal sensors detect much yaw/sway, they are supposed to do just that.
Bruce,

That's enough to make me read up on integrated brake controllers! It should be noted that the location of where my "non-integrated" controller is in my 2004 F150 is so low on the dash that it's completely out of sight; and therefore out of mind. Like the on board stability control systems that most new cars have, an integrated brake controller that can apply just the trailer brakes in an emergency situation is a game changer, for sure.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote