View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
pauloh

Bill:
You are correct about installation of the trunnion bars getting in the way of the jackstem. I put them on the TV, swiveled them out a bit, then backed up a foot or two to hook up. They hang above the ground (chains reach the ground) as I do this. I appreciate your pointing out that this is kind of stupid, I agree. I'm trying to think when this situation might cause me a major issue of some kind. When I get time, I might try emailing or calling Reese (owned by some other corporation I forget now) about it.

All I can say is, 3 college-educated adults, one a former UHaul employee, looked at those trunnions (the one who did NOT read the instructions figured it out), and this seems to be the only procedure to get them in place. I hooked everything up, and made my adjustments with the TV wheel well measurements/chain links (I'm on the 3rd chain link). With many thanks to your WDH primer here, everything looks good and towed well on the initial 30 minute test drive. If you look at my signature, you can see my current setup as of yesterday. Feel free to comment! It may need some adjustment later, I think I over-exaggerated the "loaded" state of the TV and TM (using heavy boxes of books), but will be looking at that again when I actually load my camping gear and passengers.

The WDH came from Amazon, but seemed to be a factory kit from Reese That is the Amazon/Reese part number, and the set appears to be identical with the one Bruce commented on above. This kit is sold by etrailer.com also, looks to be the same parts there.

I put those chain/u-bolts on myself, the instructions were pretty clear about how to do this, at least. I just looked at the bars, you are correct, they slant down slightly when the trunnion head is vertical. They match up with Bruce's in this respect I think. Also the top of the trunnion bar head has a slightly rounded pin, while the bottom pin was flat (also like Bruce's). So I think they're going the right way now.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, anything else you think I should know, I'll be standing by. Now I am next on to greasing the wheel bearings here! (thanks for THAT primer also.)
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote