Thread: BMW X5 as TV?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #9
sinjin

Thanks for the input guys. I did do a web search to find out about installing the brake controller as well. Just about everything I turned up said it was a nightmare. I also saw that the Prodigy was not recommended for the BMW. I think this has to do with how BMW's are wired with everthing multiplexed together. For these reasons I decided to let BMW handle the installation of the hitch and the controller. (I'm too to put down how much that cost!!)

I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and after about 45 minutes with the service manager, a senior service guy, and the parts manager they decided that my car was wired for a brake controller and they could attach a hitch and hook it all up. I mentioned what I'ld seen on the web, but they assured me it was no big deal. ("Tut, tut, little woman let the big boys take care of this for you" )

So, I come back the next day, and guess what; it was a much bigger deal than they thought. It took them 6.5 hours to put it all together and they had to call BMW HQ to get it right. We're picking up a 2027sl this weekend so I hope they really did get it right.

BTW, they installed an Activator II brake controller, not the Prodigy. Wish us luck